The OPV market is emerging rapidly, and OPV devices sales are predicted to grow exponentially over the next decade thanks to their mechanical flexibility, low production costs, and (optional) semi-transparency.
Key Benefits of OPVs:
Adaptable to various sizes and shapes with excellent portability enabling flexible substrates such as paper or plastics could be used as a carrier.
- Printability – Roll to roll Manufacturing
Use Reel to reel printing methodology to coat the layer by layer, resulting in high production speeds and lower capital costs.
Use as a coating or laminates on windows in the buildings that enables power generation and transmitting light.
- Small CO2 Footprint
A truly green sustainable energy with shorter energy payback time with no heavy metals are used, in contrast to CdTe (cadmium) or perovskite PV (lead)
- Power Charging for Consumer Electronics
Power charging in PDAs, laptops and mobile phones, but also in wireless sensor networks, e-labels, e-packaging, e-posters, smart blisters and smart bandages.
- Wearable Technology: easily integrated into every cloth surface as a deployable energy generator for rural and urban sectors. OPV will be the most sought-after technology for wearables as they are light-weight, thin, beautiful, flexible, and non-toxic.
- Architecture & – Building-integrated photovoltaics The photovoltaic panel is integrated into the building fabric rather than a ‘tack-on’ addition replacing conventional building cladding materials.
- Automotive (Electric Cars with a Solar Boost) Transparent film for car roofs for UV protection and solar power generation.
- Smart Home and Internet of Things (Indoor Applications)
Flexible thin films can be easily integrated into product surfaces.